Submission Details of Assessment
The assessment task is due on the date specified by your assessor. Any variations to this arrangement must be approved in writing by your assessor.
Submit this document with any required evidence attached. See instructions below for details.
Purpose of the Assessment
This task provides you with the opportunity to demonstrate the skills and knowledge required to develop and maintain your professional competence.
In this task you will be required to:
Carry out a self-assessment of your current competency
Develop a professional development plan with career objectives and an action plan.
Seek feedback on your current level of professional competency to assist in the development of your plan.
Keep a journal describing the process you use for planning professional development.
Part A – Self Assessment
1. Choose one of the nationally endorsed units of competency included from the following list as included in the BSB51918 Diploma of Leadership and Management that you are currently studying:
BSBHRM506 Manage recruitment, selection and induction processes
BSBADM502 Manage meetings
BSBRSK501 Manage Risk
BSBWHS501 Ensure a safe workplace
BSBWOR502 Lead and manage team effectiveness
BSBMGT516 Facilitate continuous improvement
BSBLDR502 Lead and manage effective workplace relationships
BSBHRM501 Manage human resources services
BSBLDR511 Develop and use emotional intelligence
BSBMGT502 Manage people performance
BSBMGT517 Manage operational plan
2. Obtain a copy of your chosen unit of competency from the following website training.gov.au /search. If you need assistance to access it ask your assessor.
3. Assess your personal knowledge and skills against the unit of competency and list record the results on the Competency Self-assessment template in Appendix 1.
4. Using an exercise book or similar electronic journal format for your journal, describe how effective the self-assessment process was.
Part B – Role-play Meeting with Assessor / mentor / colleagues / Manager
1. Meet with your assessor to discuss your documented Competency Self-assessment and identify any further areas of professional development required. Take notes of the discussion as evidence of your meeting. Prepare minutes of the meeting and get it signed by your assessor.
2. In your journal, comment on the usefulness of the meeting.
3. Using the template provided in Appendix 2, develop a Professional Development Plan in consultation with your mentor/colleagues and with your manager/assessor. You should include development opportunities such as:
a. training that you could carry out within the next 1-5 years;
b. individuals/ organisation that you could learn from;
c. networks or professional associations you could join and take part in;
4. In your journal, explain:
a. how you used the output of your meeting in step 5 to develop your professional development plan;
b. why you have chosen the development opportunities included in your professional development plan e.g. your preferred learning styles;
c. how acquiring the new knowledge and skills will increase your competence;
5. Submit the required evidence as indicated below. Ensure you keep a copy of all work submitted for your records.
What your assessor will be looking for evidence of
Your assessor will be looking for evidence of:
● communication skills to receive, analyse and report on feedback
● application of principles and techniques of planning professional development
● knowledge of management development opportunities
● knowledge of types of learning styles and application to professional development planning.