You take on the role of Human Resources Manager at ABC Company. You are replacing previous Human Resources Manager who is on leave for six months. The managing director are in the process of developing the organisation’s 5-year strategic plan. To achieve competitive advantage, the directors are pursuing an innovation strategy with a focus on developing a range of tools to enhance the customer’s online shopping experience.
They have developed an innovation strategy to ensure the organisation’s sustainability and, consequently, they need to ensure the organisation’s workforce is able to implement this strategy. You have been asked to prepare a comprehensive draft of the human resources strategic plan. Please begin by researching the planning requirements to develop a draft of the human resources plan. You will need to review the current business plan and consider the information relating to the innovation strategy to determine the HR direction. In drafting the plan, you will consult with managing director and other relevant mangers (your assessor) about their HR preferences and approaches. You will also need to identify HR services to implement the innovation strategy, their costs, requirements and risks.
Complete the following tasks to guide you through the development and preparation of this project.
- Research planning requirements:
- Review the company business plan and organisation operational plan in reference to the HR strategic direction, objective and targets
- Undertake a PEST analysis using the PEST analysis template to determine trends and issues, including new and emerging technology that could impact human resource management in the organisation
- State the future labour needs and skill requirements for the organisation and identify potential options for sourcing labour
- Consider internal stakeholders using the organisational charts. Create a simple engagement and communication plan that lists each manager and how you will communicate with them to identify their preferences, and to reach agreement on philosophies, values and policies. Explain how you will obtain support for the plan.
- Develop the human resources strategic plan which covers the following items:
- Determine strategic directions, objectives and targets
- Identify the HR training and development services that will need to be delivered to achieve the HR strategic objectives
- Provide a cost-benefit analysis of the training and development services
- Identify appropriate technology and system to support agreed human resource programs and practices
- Using the risk management plan template, develop a risk management plan to support the human resources strategic plan
- Prepare a schedule for implementation (priority and timeframe)
- Prepare a budget for training and development services (projection, actual and contingency)
- Determine how the plan will be monitored and reviewed, and how amendments will be made if issues arise, for example ABC would like to decrease staff
- Outline the process HR will undertake to evaluate performance against plan objectives and make improvement