BSBMGT517 Assessment Resources: Assessment 1 Case Study Questions
Submission Details of Assessment
The assessment task is due on the date specified by your assessor. Any variations to this arrangement must be approved in writing by your assessor.
Submit this document with any required evidence attached. See instructions below for details.
Purpose of the Assessment
You will demonstrate skills and knowledge required to develop operational plans in consultation with key Stake holders
XYZ Company has decided to relocate their 50 seat call centre to regional Tasmania.
You, as the Call Centre Manager, have been given the responsibility for developing an operational plan for the call centre including resources requirements, key performance indicators, monitoring processes and risk management.
You will also need to develop and implement strategies to achieve the plan including staff recruitment, procurement and monitoring performance.
- The call centre has a capacity for 50 seats.
- The call centre operates 24 hours, seven days per week. It is envisaged that staff will work in three shifts:
- Day shift: 7am to 3pm
- Afternoon shift: 3pm to 11pm
- Night shift: 11pm to 7am
- 15 staff from the Hobart call centre have agreed to relocate to the new call centre.
- The call centre must be fully operational in exactly twelve weeks from today.
- You have a budget of $5,200,000.00.
You will need to access the following XYZ Company plans, policies, and procedures:
- Business plan
- Organisational charts
- Purchasing resource acquisition policy
- Purchasing resource acquisition procedures
- Information management policy
- Information management procedures
- Recruitment policy
This Project has been split into nine separate tasks. Please complete each task in the order they appear.
Before you can develop the operational plan, you will need to consult with the relevant managers at XYZ Company.
Develop a consultation plan that lists the names of the XYZ Company personnel that you would consult with, explain why you would consult with them and for each one, list five questions you would ask them.
Review the key information provided in the task overview, and write a report including the following:
a) Develop a list of physical (e.g. equipment) and human resources required to operate the call centre.
b) Write a proposal for the procurement of the physical resources on your list that includes why each is needed, where it will be sourced from, cost and date needed. You will need to undertake internet research to complete this task. Please ensure that all equipment and other physical resources comply with XYZ Company’ focus on sustainability.
c) Develop at least three Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that you will use to measure the overall performance of the call centre using the SMART method.
d) Develop a process to monitor the progress and achievement of the KPIs. This may be done in the form of an action plan.
e) Develop a system to ensure security and confidentiality of all performance records (such as profit & loss statements and action plans).
Conduct a risk analysis of at least three risks to the success of the call centre using the risk assessment matrix in you learner workbook. For each identified risk, you must develop a contingency plan to minimise the likelihood or consequences of the risk occurring.
Review the key information provided in the task overview and using the information you provided in the previous tasks and other information as required, develop an operational plan for the new call centre to be fully operational in three months.
You will need to research on the internet for a suitable template.
Your operational plan must include:
- XYZ Company mission
- XYZ Company objectives
- XYZ Company Call Centre strategy
- Action Plan for key deliverables
- Key Performance Indicators
- Risk Management
Arrange a time with your assessor to present your plan during class time before commencing the next task. You will need to explain and justify each part of your plan, seek their approval and agree on any changes required.
You must also outline the legislative and regulatory context of your plan, and XYZ Company policies and procedures that are relevant to the implementation of the plan, including but not limited to health and safety.
You must ensure you communicate with your assessor in an appropriate business manner, as if you were addressing a senior manager at XYZ Company.
Your meeting is expected to take approximately 15 minutes.
Your assessor will complete Observation Checklist I at the end of your presentation. Please ensure you review the Observation Checklist before you commence your presentation so that you are fully prepared and know exactly what is expected of you.
Please submit the completed Observation checklist I as evidence of this task.
Review the key information provided in the task overview and develop a recruitment and development strategy to meet the requirements of the call centre. Your strategy must comply with the XYZ Company recruitment policy and must include:
- Number of staff to be recruited
- Full time or part time, shift work
- Start date
- Skills required
- How you will source candidates
- How you will protect XYZ Company’ intellectual property during the recruitment and selection process
- Initial training to be provided
- Ongoing coaching and mentoring plan
- Risk management and contingency plan
Your proposal for the procurement of physical resources (Task 2b) has been accepted. You are now required to develop a strategy to acquire the resources in the required time frame.
You are to present your strategy as an action plan.
Using the KPIs you developed in Task Two (c), develop a monitoring process for the implementation of the detailed operational plan.
The monitoring process should include the following:
- A breakdown of the overall plan into tasks
- Time lines and responsibilities assigned for each task
- A budget allocation to appropriate tasks
At the end of Week 9, the following things have occurred:
- Only 17 new staff have been recruited as response to the ads in the local paper has been poor
- A local agency can provide temporary staff until all roles have been permanently filled but this will add 20% to the overall salary budget
- The company you ordered the operator headsets from can no longer meet the deadline and the only other supplier who can meet your requirements is 35% more expensive.
Use the monitoring process you developed in Task Eight to prepare a review of the operational plan’s progress to date. This report should cover the following items:
- Analysis and interpretation of budgeted and actual financial information
- Areas of under-performance
- Solutions and actions to be taken
- Recommendations for any variations to the operational plan
- Procedure for approval of any variations
Submission for this task
- A consultation plan.
- A short report for Task 2.
- Risk assessment Matrix and a contingency plan
- Operational plan.
- Presentation on operational plan
- Recruitment & development strategy
- Strategy to acquire resources
- Monitoring process for the implementation of the detailed operational plan
- A short report for Task 9
Appendix 1 – Business Plan of XYZ Company
Business Plan summary
ABN: 55 555 555 555
ACN: 555 5555 5555
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Relevant owner experience
Mark, Sam and Natalie have over 25 years combined experience in telecommunications marketing and product business. Since starting XYZ in 2015, they have successfully grown the business from a single telecentre to over 20 telecentres plus 15 online retail stores nationally.
XYZ telecentres specialise in a range of exclusive services ranging from order taking services to main receiving services including market surveys. The business provides its customers with high quality and innovative products and services. Wherever possible we provide our customers with a ‘green’ solution and service. We employ sustainable business practices.
XYZ customers include anyone seeking innovative, high quality exclusive service. Customers seeking a ‘green’ solution to their needs are especially welcome.
XYZ employs a range of marketing tools including:
- Magazine (electronic and print) presence
- An instore/online catalogue
- A corporate website with e-commerce function
- Direct marketing to our existing customer base
- A loyalty reward program
XYZ is committed to:
- Providing high quality and innovative products and services to customers
- Meeting the changing needs of customers
- Offering innovative product solutions including database creation and capture services
- Delivering speedy and personalised service
- Employing professional and enthusiastic staff
- Providing clean and ‘green’ products and services
- Adopting sustainable work practices
- Undertaking continuous improvement processes.
XYZ is known for its enthusiastic and inclusive culture. XYZ seeks to maintain professional and well- supported staff.
In 2018–2023 XYZ will consolidate its position in the market as a lead telecentre for green and sustainable solutions for high quality exclusive products/services.
To do this, XYZ will focus on the following business goals:
- Financial stability:
- Increase revenue by 15% (compared to the previous 12 months) by the end of the financial year
- Maintain annual profit levels of 15% of revenue for all products and services, calculated at the end of each financial year
- Reinvest 75% of profit back into the business at the end of each financial year
- Market position:
- Maintain the number one rating in the annual national industry customer service awards
- Launch new high quality exclusive consumer services to meet customer demand, ahead of competitors, within budget and by the agreed deadlines
- Right people:
- Provide induction training at the commencement of employment to train new employees to be knowledgeable, helpful and enthusiastic
- Provide the financial, physical, human and time resources to support an annual professional development program for all XYZ employees.
See XYZ intranet for the latest organisational chart.
Chief Executive Officer
15 years' financial experience in IT industry Qualified engineer
Postgrad. in business law
Managing Director Financial operations
20 years' accountancy experience Qualified CPA
Member of the National Institute of Accountants
Managing Director Business operations
15 years' experience in a range of telecom and IT businesses
Bachelor of Science
Postgrad. in IT services management Postgrad. in business law
Managing Director Human resources
10 years' experience in recruitment and general HR
Bachelor of Management Graduate diploma of psychology
Member of the Australian Human Resources Institute
XYZ offers quality, high-end, innovative and exclusive inbound, outbound, bilingual and virtual call centre services. We provide a quality service to our customers, focusing on ‘green’ solutions. We believe in extensive networking to ensure we have the latest high-end consumer services available for our customers.
Unique selling position
Our distribution of telecentres across Australia allows us to provide the personal level of service customers expect with exclusive services. Our customer service is knowledgeable and friendly. We reward our customers for their loyalty.
A large number of customers (domestic small and medium businesses) purchase our lower priced services, valued at $500–750. We offer exclusive premium services to our large corporate clients who would spend approximately $10,000–15,000 every month.
XYZ applies standard industry mark-ups for lower priced services. Our high-end services are often unique in the market and are priced accordingly, based on our costs and understanding of the market.
Value to customer
XYZ individual customers view us as a destination for quality services with a ‘green’ bias. Our corporate clients trust us to provide high quality products/services that will perform above expectation and impress their clients. Our VIP customers are discerning and rely on us to keep them up to date with the latest in exclusive telecentre services.
XYZ is aiming for 15 per cent growth in revenue per annum. This growth will come in part from technology improvements and innovation resulting in better sustainable services. Growth will also occur naturally as the businesses in Australia continue to increase and accumulate more wealth.
XYZ holds current workers compensation and public liability, product liability, business asset and business revenue insurance. The company accountant holds all details.
See XYZ intranet for the current risk-management procedure.
The following list is current at time of publication and is not exhaustive. Key provisions of relevant legislation from all forms of government, standards and codes of practice such include those related to:
- Anti-discrimination legislation
- Telecommunications Act 1997
- AS 5037:2005 Knowledge Management –- a guide
- AS/NZS ISO 31000:2009 Risk Management
- Australian Accounting and Auditing Standards
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) requirements
- Australian Taxation Office regulations
- Certified and workplace agreements
- Codes of practice
- Company law
- Contract law
- Corporations law
- Duty of care
- Employee contracts
- Enterprise agreements
- Environmental issues
- Environmental or sustainability legislation, regulations and codes of practice applicable to industry and organisation
- Ethical principles
- Federal and state/territory awards/use of Wageline
- Financial legislation
- Freedom of information legislation
- Fringe benefits tax (FBT)
- Pay as you go (PAYG) tax
- Payroll tax
- Privacy laws and confidentiality
- Superannuation Guarantee (Administration) Act and superannuation regulations
- Unlawful dismissal rules and due process
- Work, health and safety legislation, regulations and codes of practice.
See XYZ intranet for the current organisation operational plan.
XYZ Company Organisation Chart
Appendix 2 - Purchase resource acquisition policy
The goal of this policy is to ensure that products and services purchased by or contracted for XYZ Company conform to the organisation’s needs and comply with the XYZ Sustainability environmental policy.
XYZ will strive, where feasible, to use the most efficient, effective and environmentally responsible purchasing process that meets the organisation’s needs.
The emphasis on purchasing environmentally friendly products is part of the organisation’s clear commitment to its customers, employees, and natural environment. There was a hope that by having an environmentally sustainable purchasing policy, other producers and suppliers will also be encouraged to support and adopt environmentally preferable products and practices.
This policy applies to the procurement of all goods, services, equipment and related services undertaken by XYZ irrespective of the nominated settlement method. Settlement methods include purchasing and contracting activities.
XYZ will maximise the benefits that can be delivered through effective, efficient and environmentally responsible procurement of all goods and services. The organization endeavours to carry out all purchasing activities in a manner that is ethical, honest and fair to all stakeholders.
The organisation will:
- Endeavour to always get value for money
- Be held accountable for all procurement results
- Ensure the decision-making process is transparent and documented
- Ensure that all staff involved in the purchasing process possess and demonstrate at all times highly developed professional ethics and standards of personal integrity
- Comply with all aspects of Australian laws and regulations that pertain to purchasing goods and services
- Integrate the practice of sustainability (wherever possible) into the acquisition of goods and services by, where possible, prioritising products that
- Contain the highest percentage of postconsumer recycled content possible
- Are made with renewable energy
- Are reusable, recyclable or bio-based/compostable
- Have minimal packaging
- Serve several functions (e.g. generic cleaning detergents)
- Have minimal effect on the depletion of natural resources and biodiversity
- Are provided by suppliers and contractors who, themselves conduct their businesses in an environmentally friendly way.
All XYZ staff who are responsible for purchasing decisions will undergo training to ensure they understand the requirements of this policy.
Non compliance with the terms of this policy may lead to disciplinary action.
Authorised purchasing officers
Purchasing delegations are as follows:
Position Purchase delegation limit
- Senior management officers Up to $5,000.00
- Managing directors $5,000.00 to $10,000
- Chief Executive Officer Unlimited
Associated policies and procedures
Refer to the procedures section of the intranet for the following:
Purchasing resource acquisition procedures
Sustainability environmental policy
This procedure outlines the purchasing actions taken for:
- Purchasing all inventory, supplies and capital equipment
- Completing related procurement documents.
Vendor selection for all purchased items will be in accordance with the XYZ Purchasing resource acquisition policy.
The Business Operations Manager is responsible for ensuring that the requirements of the XYZ purchasing policy are adhered to. This includes maintaining appropriate procurement methods, placing orders with approved suppliers and forwarding all paperwork to the Finance Manager for payment.
Online purchases should use preferred suppliers wherever possible. Where this is not possible, new suppliers must be evaluated using the XYZ Online supplier procedures.
1. Purchase requisition preparation involves the following:
- All XYZ employees who require a product or service must complete a XYZ purchase order requisition form that details the items for purchase and the date required.
- All completed purchase order requisition forms are to be approved by an authorized delegate.
2. On receipt of a completed purchase order requisition form, the purchasing officer will: review the purchase
- Double-check the calculations for accuracy
- Verify that the signature(s) of approval are authorised officials
- Review that the other boxes of the form are complete
- If the purchase order requisition form is not accurate or complete, return it to the relevant person for amendment
- If the purchase order requisition form is accurate and complete, forward a copy of the form to the accounting department and generate an order
- Send the order to the vendor
- Receive the goods when delivered
- Forward the invoice to the Finance Manager
Appendix 4 - XYZ Company Recruitment Policy
XYZ Company is committed to selecting and recruiting competent, capable and suitably qualified staff. We’ve adopted recruitment and selection strategies that help us meet our commitment to making quality staff appointments.
XYZ has an experienced human resources team, which includes a HR management team and HR administration staff. The HR team is guided by area recruitment strategies and procedures.
All new applicants must meet the following minimum criteria. They must:
- Possess suitable qualifications and experience
- Pass job-specific interview questions
- Undertake approved reference checks
- Pass specified assessment testing
- Attend and complete any training course, induction and assessment as prescribed by XYZ prior to or on commencement of their employment.
XYZ is committed to:
- Recruiting the best potential people for the job
- Ensuring employees are treated with equality, dignity and respect
- Complying with any legislative or regulatory requirements in terms of selecting and recruiting staff
- Defining the competent authority to approve each selection.
All members of the HR team complete a confidentiality form to ensure all confidential information is retained and dealt with discretion and tact.
Related Link: Assignment Help
Thanks for delivering the economics assignment on time. Due to my part-time job, I was unable to do the assignment by myself but my friend sent me a link to your website, I ordered and got the assignment.John, Sydny
This is the cost effective website because they provide free samples and live one on one session although they provide a samples of every topic in a very cheaper rate.Lauria, Melbourne
My friend recommended me this website and he was so confident about the services of My Assignment services. I didn't want to fall short of grades. Luckily, I relied upon my friend and agreed to get assignment.Anthony, Perth
Thanks to No1AssignmentHelp.Com for supporting in making my dissertation chapter wise.Ravi, Newcastle