General instructions/Guidelines for the assignment:
- Assignments should be submitted via the official portal of MSBM only as Microsoft word document (.doc or .docx), and Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt or .pptx), Assignments submitted via other means will not be considered.
- Kindly adhere to the format requirements (Essay, Memo, Letter, Report, Research, Presentation etc.) and submit the assignment as per the instructions given.
- Make sure to write your full name and correct the Programme/Module name using the official OTHM/MSBM Title page.
- The Word count for each task must match the required word count for that task. If the word count is provided only for the entire assignment and not task by task or question by question. You can choose the word count of each task/question, however, the entire assignment should adhere to the word count limit.
- The word count of 2000-2500 words will apply where the assignment has not mentioned any word count. You could lose marks if you write 10% more or less than this.
- Submit only the completed assignment that will include all the tasks and each task must answer all the instructions within that task.
- Assignments will be reviewed only if they are completed with all the tasks/questions. Please do not send each task/question separately.
- All documents will be checked for plagiarism. Any report found to be plagiarised for more than 15% would be rejected immediately. You can request a scan before submitting the assignment to know if you need to rephrase some parts of the assignment.
- Make sure to insert correct in-text citations when drafting an assignment and a list of references as per the Harvard Referencing Style is to be provided at the end of the whole assignment. (Not end of each task)
- There should be at least 18 referred sources for your assignment. All sources must be mentioned in the in-text citation and the reference list. If there in-text citation and references do not match, the institute reserve the right to reject the assignment.
- All assignments will be sent for review and until the assignment status shows “Completed”, kindly keep checking for feedback and do the needful accordingly.
- Assignments should be saved as; Programme Name _ (Candidate Full Name) _ (Candidate Code)_(Unit Abbreviation). i.e. MBA_ John Smith_00123456_ ABRM
The case study below illustrates how Syngenta, a company created from the fusion of two agronomical divisions of two conglomerates, plans its investments with the help of analytical tools such as the Average Rate of Return (ARR) and the Payback Period.
Formed in 2000 by the merger of the agronomical divisions of Zeneca and Novartis, Syngenta is one of the world’s leading suppliers of seeds and crop protection systems. A multinational company, Syngenta employs 26,000 people across 90 countries. In 2010, its sales exceeded $11 billion. Syngenta’s mission is ‘bringing plant potential to life. It uses the latest science and technology to develop products that help its customers improve crop productivity. Syngenta’s products are used by farmers to protect crops against weeds, pests and fungal diseases. The company’s herbicides, pesticides and fungicides are usually based on complex chemicals. Developing products that can improve farm output without damaging the natural environment requires intensive Research and Development (R&D). To protect its investment, Syngenta obtains patents for its new products.
In 2008, Syngenta was faced with a major investment decision. As the Amistar range of fungicides moved through its product life cycle, its maximum capacity was approached. Syngenta could not produce more Amistar without investing in its production facilities. A proposal was put forward to expand production through a £150 million investment at the Grangemouth site in Scotland. The company had to decide whether increasing production would be financially viable and a worthwhile investment.
The table below shows the estimated cash flow for the Grangemouth expansion project.
Kindly find the table under the download material for this module:
Task 1 of 2 – Report
Prepare a report to include:
- An explanation of the sources of finance, the Syngenta Company, could have been used and an assessment of the risks involved in the identified sources.
- A critical assessment of the costs involved in managing global risk.
- An analysis of the potential investment decisions and strategies available to the Syngenta Company. Use the data provided to calculate the payback period and accounting rate of return.
- An assessment of the global environment decisions and strategies affecting the Syngenta Company.
Delivery and Submission
• 1x Report 2500 words
Task 2 of 2 – Meeting Paper
You are required to choose a Public Limited Company on which to base your assignment. You are advised to check with your tutor that your choice of company is appropriate.
Prepare a meeting paper that can be used by Company Directors to assess their current Global Finance Strategies.
You must include the following in your meeting paper:
- An analysis of the concept of globalization and global risks.
- An assessment of the link between the concept of globalization and the investment process
- An explanation of the factors affecting the global business environment.
- An assessment of the impact of identified factors on national and multinational business organisations
- An explanation of the current value statement of your chosen business organisation.
- An explanation of how your chosen business organisation achieves its values and a recommendation of strategies that they could use to enhance their value.
- An analysis of the strategic decision of your chosen business organisation.
- An evaluation of the financial consequences of a strategic decision made by your chosen business organisation.
- An explanation of risk mitigation techniques and an assessment of the suitability of techniques used by a named business organisation to manage their global risk.
• 1x Meeting Paper
• 1x Meeting Paper – 2500 words
A comprehensive Harvard style reference list must be included at the end of the work that represents the in-text citations used in reference to the published work. (both in-text citations and Reference list is required)
This assignment requires 18-20 different referred sources. Please use sources that are new and updated and avoid utilizing sources that are not more than 3 years old.
Evidence to be submitted:
• Report – 2500 words
• Meeting Paper – 2500 words